New Zealand Family Relationship Visa - SC 461


If you are in a relationship with a New Zealand citizen, you may qualify for a five-year temporary visa allowing you to reside in Australia with your New Zealand partner who holds or can obtain a Special Category (subclass 444) visa.

This visa is also accessible to other eligible family members of New Zealand citizens.

The Special Category (subclass 444) visa permits New Zealand citizens who arrived in Australia after 26 February 2001 to live and work in Australia indefinitely.


To be eligible for this visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a family member of a New Zealand citizen residing in Australia on a Special Category visa (subclass 444) or be traveling to Australia with a family member who will be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) upon arrival.
  • Eligible family members include partners, children/step-children, and dependent children of you or your partner’s child/step-child.
New Zealand Family Relationship Visa - SC 461


You will need to provide the following as evidence to apply for the visa:

  • Be in a relationship with an eligible New Zealand citizen for more than six months. Your partner must hold the subclass 444 special category visa or be eligible for it upon arrival.
  • Be a relative of the New Zealand citizen or their partner, such as a widow, divorced, separated, or someone who has not entered a de facto partnership. You should usually reside in the New Zealand citizen’s household and be financially dependent on them.
  • Be the child of a dependent child of either the New Zealand citizen or their partner.
  • Meet health and character criteria.
  • Clear any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before the visa can be granted. Payment or an arrangement to pay must be in place.
  • Depending on your country of origin, you may need to obtain health insurance that covers you in Australia if there is no reciprocal healthcare agreement.
  • The application for a 461 visa can be made from inside or outside Australia. If you are currently in Australia, ensure that your current visa does not have a ‘8503 – NO FURTHER STAY’ condition.
Here’s how we assist:

Our experienced team can assist you in applying for the NZ Family Relationship visa. We provide comprehensive support in guiding you through the process, preparing your visa applications, managing bridging visas, and ensuring you receive the visa grant.

Need more information or have questions that your seeking answers for?


Our experienced immigration specialists can make all the difference, talk to us about your
matter with ease and let us assist you in navigating to a successful outcome.

Give us a call at +61 3 9125 8872  or Contact Us online.

Start typing and press Enter to search